As the baby boomers age, one segment of the deaf/hearing-impaired community that is going to grow -
bolstered by both the natural aging of deaf/hearing-impaired baby boomers and the baby boomers who lose
hearing at late age. This large population is going to need specialized nursing homes, organizations, retirement
communities, and for some, specialized hospice services.
The magnitude and complexity of the problems and needs of deaf/hearing-impaired senior citizens are so great.
Because there is so much which must be done and because no one person, organization, agency, or institution
can attempt successfully more than a portion of the total objectives, it will be the primary purpose of the North
Texas Deaf Senior Citizens (NTDSC) to fill current and future needs of deaf/hearing-impaired senior citizens. It
also will seek to fill the needs which are not now being met fully, or it will encourage other agencies or
organizations to meet the needs.
NTDSC is a non-profit organization serving all deaf/hearing-impaired persons without regard to race, religion,
sex, disability or nationality. The mission of NTDSC is to assist with the independent living and promote the
overall well-being of all deaf/hearing-impaired senior citizens in North Texas by:
• keeping deaf/hearing-impaired senior citizens from being isolated or homebound.
• Giving them opportunities for social interaction and enjoyment.
• Providing leisure activities for challenging mental alertness.
• Conducting tours when possible.
• Providing seminars dealing with issues impacting their well-being and
• Acquainting those senior citizens with national, state, and local resources
that will contribute to their positive image and fuller participation in the
• Advocating the rights of deaf/hearing-impaired senior citizens.
NTDSC was incorporated as a domestic non-profit organiation on July 14, 2008 See document . . . Note:
Application for tax-exempt status under Section 501-c-3 is in the hands of IRS now for review. It will take awhile
to hear from IRS.
IRS stamped the date -- January 31, 2009 -- on the letter of ruling to declare that NTDSC is tax-exempt under